Centre for Innovation in Education
The conflict between a fast-changing society and largely traditional school system has become a serious obstacle for many countries. Under various terms - new educational paradigm, constructivist approach, inclusive learning, interesting school - lies an inspiring motif to find new ways and ideas to bring the schools to the 21st century.
The Estonian Lifelong Learning Strategy offers a change in the approach to learning - it hopes to implement an "approach to learning that supports each learner’s individual and social development, the acquisition of learning skills, creativity and entrepreneurship at all levels and in all types of education". This new approach is a challenge to the whole Estonian education system, and the Centre for Innovation in Education (CIE) helps to overcome that challenge.
The office of the Centre for Innovation in Education is on the 4th floor of the Terra building.
The priorities of the Centre for Innovation
- Create and support networks for cooperation between scientists, teachers and trainee teachers;
- Create, manage and develop contemporary open-learning environments and interactive classrooms;
- Launch and implement scientific and developmental projects related to lifelong learning;
- Develop and elaborate innovative curricula and modules (pre- and continuous teacher training);
- Development and implementation of innovative teaching methods (including learning materials, technologies, forms of training);
- Consult with teachers, subject didactics lecturers, students and develop training;
- Include foreign lecturers, scientists and doctoral students in the activities of the centre;
- Systematize the formation of teachers´ professional identity and contribute in creating a recognizable and respected teacher’s professional identity.
The CIE provides the following options for cooperation:
- Development of physical and virtual learning environments through design and implementation of pre- and in-service teacher training.
- Collaborative projects that combine the ideas of academia with business opportunities
- Research and development projects in cooperation with practitioners and scientists
- School development projects
- Development of curriculum in teacher training
- Further training for teachers and lecturers