EU/EEA Citizens Right of Temporary Residence
In order to obtain the right of temporary residence EU/EEA citizens (who stay in Estonia longer than three month) must register themselves as citizens of Tallinn within three months from the date of entering Estonia and apply for the Estonian identity card (ID-card).
1. You can register as citizen of Tallinn in the Population Register Offices in Tallinn:
- in the city center (Pärnu Road 9), office hours: Monday 8.15-18.00; Tuesday - Thursday 8.15-17.00; Friday 8.15-13.00;
- in Northern Tallinn (Niine Street 2), office hours: Monday 8.15-18.00; Tuesday - Thursday 8.15-17.00; Friday 8.15-16.00;
- in Kristiine (Tulika 33b), office hours: Monday 8.15-13.00 and 14.00-18.00; Tuesday - Thursday 8.15-13.00 and 14.00-17.00; Friday 8.15-13.00;
- in Mustamäe (A.H.Tammsaare Road 135), office hours: Monday 8.15-12.00 and 13.00-18.00; Tuesday - Thursday 8.15-12.00 and 13.00-17.00; Friday 8.15-12.00 and 13.00-16.00.
You have to take with you:
tenancy contract (from your dormitory or from private apartment).
2. Within the period of one month from registering your place of residence, you must go to the Citizenship and Migration Bureau to apply for an Estonian identity card (ID-card) which certifies your right of temporary residence.
Required documents for the Estonian identity card:
the application form (you do not have to complete the application form before you go to the Migration Office);
your identity document;
a coloured photograph sized 40x50 mm (you can take the photo at the Citizenship and Migration Bureau);
a document certifying the payment of the state fee: 25 EUR.
After the registration at the Population Register and applying for the Estonian identity card, the right of temporary residence is granted for a period of five years.
If you change your address in Estonia, please inform the Population Register.
Before you leave Estonia you have to sign yourself out from the Population Register.