Tips for Incoming Exchange Students
Dear exchange student
Congratulations on your choice of becoming a student for one semester at Tallinn University! You will be part of a young and dynamic university and you will have a unique opportunity to enjoy life in the vibrant capital city of Estonia and celebrate the 100th anniversary of our country.
To make your first days in Tallinn run as smoothly as possible, we would like to share some tips with you.
- January and February are the coldest months in Estonia. Please take warm clothes with you that protect against snow and wind. It is also the time when people are not at their merriest, they can be quite reserved and serious. Don’t worry, you will see a very positive change in people once the days get longer and the weather warmer.
- Make sure that you have health insurance for the time of your stay in Estonia. Additional health insurance is also recommended to EU citizens.
- If you have applied for a tutor, a local student to guide you and support you during your time of stay, you will get an email from him/her in mid-January.
- You can already check your timetable for the courses that you have chosen. Please find directions on how to do it at: www.tlu.ee/timetables.
- Not all the students could be offered a place in the dormitory. Looking for a place in private accommodation can be challenging. In case you need further advice or have any doubts about private housing offers, please turn to our specialist, Ms Johanna Kukk (johanna.kukk....at....tlu.ee)
- - Your semester here starts on January 29 with the Orientation Week for international students. Don’t miss the chance to get to know more about your studies, university campus, necessary documents, cultural life and, most importantly, get to know each other (more information: www.tlu.ee/orientation). To have an overview of the formalities you need to take care of once you have arrived, please see our checklist at: www.tlu.ee/arrival
If you have more questions about the university or about life in Estonia in general, then you are welcome to get in touch with our student ambassadors, and you can do that already before arrival. More information at: www.tlu.ee/ambassadors
Our staff is there to help you make your stay enjoyable and easy. If you have a question, we will find an answer. If you have a problem, we will find a solution. Just let us know!
Looking forward to meeting you on January 29 in room A-222!