Recognition of prior degree studies when completing a study programme means that if you have previously studied in Tallinn University or in another university, it is possible to take the completed courses into account in order to avoid learning what has already been learnt.

I studied at a different university before, but I didn’t finish my studies. Now I have come to Tallinn University and it is great that I could transfer the completed courses and didn’t have to learn the same thing again. (Mary, 23)

What can be accredited as what?
  • Studies at the same study level (e.g. from bachelor’s studies to bachelor’s studies) can be accredited as compulsory, elective or open elective courses.
  • As a rule, studies at the preceding study level (e.g. from bachelor’s to master’s studies) can be accredited only as compulsory courses.
What should you know before applying?
  • Submitting an application must be done on the semester before the course takes place (exceptional are the students who are on their first semester). 
  • The application cannot be submitted for a course the student has already registered in. 
  • Open electives can be transferred at the end of studies in the volume (ECTS) specified in the curriculum.
How to apply?

In order to apply you need to complete the application form, students and external students can do that in Study Information System (ÕIS). You need to include your prior studies and match those with the courses taught at Tallinn University (except for open electives for which it is not necessary to determine a match). Be sure to familiarize yourself with the instructions in the application form and the Study Information System that will help you fill in the form and if necessary, consult an RPL Counsellor.

If prior studies have not been passed in Tallinn University, you should add materials evidencing these studies to the application. These materials include:

  • An extract form the results sheet - the results sheet is a sheet of paper which includes all the mastered courses in the previous higher education institution. The results sheet is usually issued by the Office of Academic Affairs or the Dean’s Office of the institution.
  • Course descriptions - a course description includes an account of the course content as well as the learning outcomes. Course descriptions can be found on the home page of the higher education institution or in the academic unit (department/faculty/college, etc.) where previous studies took place.

When completing a study programme it is possible to submit an RPL application no later than on the semester before the course takes place. The deadline is the semesters' intermediate week (exceptional are the first semester students). The application is submitted in the Study Information System; non-students (except external students) shall submit their applications on paper to the academic unit (institute/department/college).

Who assesses my application and what is the assessment based on?

For recognising studies at the same study level the assessment is conducted by the Head of Curriculum. For recognising studies at the preceding study level the assessment is conducted in the assessment committee. The deadline for assessment is the last day of the semester. First years students' applications that are submitted on the pre-week are reviewed faster. Assessment is based on the suitability in content of prior studies or the comparison of the learning outcomes. If the learning outcomes coincide and the content of the course has not expired, the application shall receive a positive decision.

How are results reflected on the results sheet?

The results sheet shows the passed courses with original information and there is a reference to the higher education institution where the course was completed on the diploma supplement issued upon graduation.