on this page we have gathered a list of frequently asked questions and recommend that you look them in the first instance. If you cannot find an answer please


1. When is the application deadline?

The admission for the academic year 2020/2021 will be opened from January 4, 2021 until the following deadlines:


  • Non-EU/EEA applicants (except applicants from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan):

                Deadline for submitting your application: 15 March 2021
                Deadline for sending your documents by post: 15 April 2021         

  • EU/EEA citizens and applicants from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan:

                Deadline for submitting your application: 1 July 2020
                Deadline for sending your documents by post: 15 July 2020

  • Finnish, Latvian and Lithuanian citizens who have obtained general secondary education in Finland, Latvia or Lithuania for Bachelor level programmes (except Audiovisual Media BA):

                Deadline for submitting your application: 5 August 2020
                Deadline for sending your documents by post: 15 August 2020

  • Applicants to the Interaction Design Master's programme all (EU/EEA + Non-EU/EEA):
              Deadline for submitting your application: 1 July 2021
              Deadline for sending your documents by post: 15 July 2021
  • International applicants with the Estonian Temporary Residence Permit, please contact the Admissions Office for further assistance or apply through the online application system DreamApply. The application period is 21 June - 1 July, 2021.

2. I will receive my final diploma after the application deadline. What should I do?

If an applicant has not graduated from the last year of their previous level of studies at the time of the application deadline, they must submit proof of their study results issued by the institution they are studying in by the application deadline. The very latest Tallinn University can accept the applicant’s final education documents is the 1st of July.

4. How can I get a temporary residence permit?

In order to obtain the right of temporary residence, EU/EEA citizens (who stay in Estonia longer than three months) must register themselves as citizens of Tallinn within three months from the date of entering Estonia and apply for the Estonian identity card (ID-card).

Non-EU/EEA citizens who stay in Estonia for longer than three months are required to apply for the long-stay (D) visa. Non-EU/EEA citizens who stay in Estonia longer than six months have to apply for the temporary residence permit for studying in Estonia.

It is possible to apply for the temporary residence permit at the nearest Estonian Embassy or after arrival to Estonia.

5. When are the admission exams taking place?

Admission exams are taking place several times during the application period. You will be contacted by the academic unit regarding the entrance exam. 

6. Do I have to come to Estonia for the admission exam?

Generally you do not have to travel to Estonia in order to take the admission exam. Usually you are asked to send a motivation letter or a creative portrfolio (depends on the programme) and then there will be an admission interview held via Skype (web camera is required). Applicants from neighbouring countries may be asked to come to Estonia for the exams.

7. When I get to know if I am admitted or not?

Once you have submitted an application with all the required documents, paid the application fee by the application deadline, meet Tallinn University’s admission requirements and have successfully passed your entrance exam, you will be asked to send your documents to Tallinn University by post. Once your documents arrive, they will be evaluated by the university’s admission specialists. Once your documents have received a positive evaluation you will receive an Accepted offer. 

8. Am I eligible to apply with the educational documents from my home country?

If You are eligible to apply for a degree programme in your home country, then generally you can apply in Estonia. The final assessment of your educational documents will be made by the university’s admission specialists. The university has the right to make inquiries, use different databases and institutions as well as submit documents certifying education to the Estonian ENIC/NARIC for the purpose of assessing the qualification. The evaluation process may take up to a month.

9. How much is the tuition fee?

The BA and MA programmes in English have a tuition fee. PhD programmes do not have a tuition fee. The fees are marked here.

10. When will I have to pay the tuition fee?

Non-EU/EEA citizens will need to pay the tuition fee for the first semester once they have successfully passed the entrance exam. Once we have received your tuition fee payment, a final accepted offer will be made and you will receive an official Acceptance Letter.

EU/EEA citizens will need to pay their tuition fee based on the payment schedule they choose. The first payment must be made during the fall semester. Further information will be given by the academic unit. 

11. Do I have to pay the tuition fee all at once?

The student has the right to choose one of the following payment schedules for paying the
tuition fee:

  • Plan A - Paying the tuition fee for the full study year in one single payment during the autumn semester,
  • Plan B - Paying each semester´s tuition fee in one instalment in each semester (recommended for students who pay tuition fees from a student loan)

12. Where can I see specific courses offered during the studies?

You can see what are the exact courses that are taught from Study information system ÕIS. There choose Study programmes from the list on the left -> choose the institute that offers the programme -> choose the programme and there you have the list of the courses.

13. What are the living costs per month?

Monthly living costs are about €300–€500 (not including accommodation).

Some examples of the prices:

  •     student meals: 3–7 EUR
  •     public transport: free of charge in Tallinn for residents of Tallinn
  •     theatre ticket: 12–18 EUR
  •     concert ticket: 8–30 EUR
  •     movie ticket: 4,5–8,4 EUR
  •     private sports clubs: 30–70 EUR per month


14. Do you have dormitories? What other possibilities I have for accommodation?

Yes, we have a dormitory. The University mediates places between the dormitory and the students.

It should be kept in mind though that applying for a dormitory place does not automatically mean that there is a place available. The places in the dormitories are limited and therefore not all the students can be accommodated in the dormitories. 

The students also have the possibility to rent an apartment. Monthly rent is 200– 450 euros or more.

You can find more info about accommodation here.

15. Do you have study allowances?

Yes, Tallinn University offers study allowances for students admitted to TU. One possibility is to apply for needs-based study allowance for students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds. The allowance is 75- 220 euros per month during the studies. More info is available here. 

You can also apply for study allowance based on your study results. The allowance is 100 euros per month during one semester. More info is available here.

16. Can I work during my studies and where can I find a job?

Yes, you can. More information on how to find a job can be found here.