Different rules apply to the citizens of EU and to the citizens of third countries regarding residence and work in Estonia. The length of the stay also influences which rules have to be followed.

EU citizens have the right to enter Estonia without a visa, but if they stay for more than 3 months, they must register their place of residence and apply for an ID card. By registering their place of residence, they obtain the right for temporary residence.

Non-EU citizens need legal grounds to stay in Estonia. For short-stay visits (up to 12 months), they may need a visa. For longer stays (more than 12 months), they need a temporary residence permit (for study, employment or employment for research purposes) (valid up to 5 years) or a long-term residence permit (termless).

Applications for visas, residence permits or residence permits for employment should be submitted to a diplomatic representation of the Republic of Estonia. Registration of one’s place of residence is necessary in the case of longer visits for EU citizens as well as citizens of third countries.

Check the Euraxess road-map for coming to Estonia.

In connection with the COVID-19 virus, please familiarise yourself with the conditions for entering the country:

Travelling to Estonia – foreigners 
Information on countries and restriction on freedom of movement requirements for passengers