EHIC grants the right to receive necessary medical care during your stay in the European Union and in the European Economic Area under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.
- EHIC is not and alternative to travel insurance
- EHIC does not cover patients cost when travelling with the purpose of medical treatment
- EHIC does not guarantee free services
The European Health Insurance Card or its replacement certificate gives you the right for necessary health care during a temporary stay
- Same rules and rights as for Estonian insured persons
- Always show your card together with your ID
- Health Insurance Fund’s partners www.haigekassa.ee
Therefore in addition, you can obtain private health insurance as the EHIC card does not cover travel insurance and private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your homecountry or lost/stolen property.
Students from Non-EU/EEA countries have to obtain an internationally valid private health insurance. This is necessary for applying for a long-stay (D) visa and temporary residence permit for study in Estonia. Some of the insurance providers which are accepted by the Police and Border Guard Board are for example:
- ERGO (health insurance contract can be signed after arrival to Estonia);
- Inges (health insurance contract can be signed online);
- Salva Kindlustuse AS (health insurance contract can be signed online);
- Swisscare (health insurance contract can be signed online);
- KindlustusEst (insurance broker who can help with finding suitable insurance, health insurance contract can be signed online).
Important! We recommend to get a family physician as soon as you arrive to Estonia so in case you need to use the service you would already know where to turn to. It is not easy to find one and therefore a lot of people use private medical centers.
You can reach the ambulance (kiirabi) by calling 112.
Emergency room (erakorraline meditsiin) is opened 24 hours and you may seek help from them especially at weekends and at night, when the family physicians are off duty. You do not need to make an appointment to go to the emergency room. The visit costs 5 euros, if you have your EU Health Insurance Card with you. Private health insurances usually reimburse the costs after the visit - please check your insurance contract for details and also have your insurance policy with you when going to the emergency room.
- Ravi tn 18
- J. Sütiste tee 19
- Punane tn 18
- Paldiski mnt 68
24 hour medical counselling is available by calling 1220.
Family physicians in Tallinn. You need to make an appointment before visiting the family physician. Service fee on the first visit and home visit is 5 euros, if you have your EU Health Insurance Card with you. Private health insurances usually reimburse the costs after the visit - please check your insurance contract for details and also have your insurance policy with you when going to the doctor.
Some of the family physicians in the city center:
- Sinu Arst Medical Centre | address: Narva road 7 | Tel: +372 661 6036 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | perearst.ee (private medical center, please be prepared to pay up to 75 euros for a doctor appointment)
- Medicum | address: Uus-Sadama street 21 | Tel: +372 631 8509 | e-mail: email@example.com | www.medicum.ee
- Liivalaia Perearst OÜ | address: Ravi street 27 | Tel: +372 641 4550 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.liivalaia.ee
- Magdaleena Perearstid OÜ | address: Pärnu road 104 | Tel: +372 606 7658
Some of the family physicians in Mustamäe:
- Mustamäe ja Nõmme Perearstikeskus OÜ | address: Ehitajate road 27 | Tel: +372 659 8043 | www.mustamaejanommepak.eu
- Doktor Kraft-Jaaksoo OÜ | address: Sütiste road 19a | Tel: +372 655 4552
NB! We suggest you ask a local student, friend, or senior international student to assist you with making an appointment and also to go with you in case the medical staff doesn’t speak English.
Medical Care Structure in Estonia
Family physician (perearst) is the first person to consult with in the case of illness. The family physician sends the person to a medical specialist, gives advice concerning the prevention of diseases, takes preventive measures, issues health certificates and prescriptions. In case of acute illness the family physician must see the patient the same day, otherwise within 3 working days. Every family physician has a list of patients they take care of. It is possible to be added to the patient's list by submitting an application to the selected physician.
Specialist - all specialists’ visits are organised through the family physician. Exceptionally, no referral is needed to visit a psychiatrist, gynaecologist, dermatovenerologist, ophthalmologist, dentist, pulmonologist (for tuberculosis treatment), infection specialist (for HIV/AIDS treatment), surgeon or orthopaedist (for traumatology). For international students, it is advisable to choose all the specialists through the family physician or medical advisors. Usually specialists have consultations in the polyclinics and there is a few-week waiting line, in the private clinics the waiting lines are shorter.
Ambulance service (kiirabi) - ambulance service is free of charge in case of emergency or unavoidable medical aid. You can call the ambulance on 112 (toll free line) from all over Estonia.
Pharmacies (apteek) - pharmacists can assist with simple medical problems. Even though, most of the drugs are issued upon a medical prescription written by a doctor, some of the painkillers, antacids, ointments, and other simple drugs could be obtained without one. There are several pharmacies around town, but you will most likely find one in any of the big shopping centres. There is a 24-hour pharmacy in the city centre at Tõnismägi Street 5.
Dentists (hambaarst) - for adults, dental care is not free. Usual visit may cost from 30 euros upwards, depending on the given problem.
Dentists in the city center:
- Tallinna Hambapolikliinik | address: Toompuiestee street 4 | Tel: 1920 | e-mail: email@example.com | www.hambapol.ee
Hospitals and Polyclinics:
- East-Tallinn Central Hospital | address: Ravi street 18 | Tel: 1900 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.itk.ee
- West-Tallinn Central Hospital | address: Paldiski road 68 | Tel: 1314 | e-mail: email@example.com | www.ltkh.ee
- North Estonia Medical Centre | address: Sütiste street 19 | Tel: +372 617 1049 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.regionaalhaigla.ee
- Psychiatry Clinic | address: Paldiski road 52 | Tel: 617 2650 | https://www.regionaalhaigla.ee/et/seewald
In case you need to use specific medication - Please do not bring large amounts of medicinal products with you to Estonia to avoid problems on the border. Please see more information here. Most of them are also found in Estonia. Please write down the name of the active ingredient found in the medicine just in case.
Insurance information and how to obtain the required medical benefits in Estonia is provided by EHIF.