The course aims on developing prerequisites for the acquisition of oral and written language skills in upper elementary Chinese. This is an upper elementary Chinese class designed to train the basic comprehensive skills of Chinese such as listening, speaking, reading and Chinese character writing. Learners will learn and practice the language in common everyday situations.
Amount of credits EAP
Amount of contact lessons
Form of evaluation
The student is expected to finish all the home assignments and actively participate in all classes. Altogether about 100 hours per semester.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student
- understands simple instructions (such as sentences showing the way, showing to start or to finish to do something, and short dialogues at the custom, in the hospital)
- understands clearly presented numerical and other factual information pertaining to everyday situations (such as short dialogues considering choosing color, size and making payment in a shop, ordering in a restaurant, taking part in sports activities or making an appointment)
- is able to greet people and introduce each other in both formal and informal way
- knows how to express himself/herself in a simple manner on everyday topic (such as making simple suggestions, buying things, seeing doctor)
- reads and writes correctly the required 500 Chinese characters.
- is able to write short stories about people, one’s family, studies, hobbies or travelling experience.