The course aims on giving knowledge in all constituent skills in Chinese language level B2.2. During the course will be learned to read and write 150 new Chinese characters (1500 in total) and their usage in sentences. Students will learn to explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options. There will be learned to write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to his/her field of interest and on familiar abstract topics, etc.
Amount of credits EAP
Amount of contact lessons
Form of assessment
Individual work involves fulfilling home assignments, home reading, preparation for individual and group presentations both in oral and written form. Altogether 120 lessons.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
- is able to write and read required 1500 Chinese characters in texts
- understands main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization
- is able to interact with a degree of fluency with native speakers
- is able to follow extended speech and complex lines of argument
- is able to read long and complex texts for different purpose (newspaper articles, letters, overviews), using selectively appropriate sources and reading strategies
- is able to give prepared presentation on different subjects of his/her interest
- is able to give clear and detailed description on a wide range of subjects related to personal experiences, speak about feelings and highlight the personal significance of events
- can clearly express his/her knowledge, viewpoints and opinions in essay up to 400 characters, and give comments on the view of others.
Methods of assessment
The student has to participate in at least 70% of lessons (100 hours), and take all tests and submit all home assignments by deadline. Grades will be assigned based on the following criteria:
5 presentations during the class: 5%
5 essay writing task before the final exam: 5%
Final exam in the end of term (listening ,reading and writing (75%) and spoken test (25%): 85%