In addition to the citizens from the EU, EEA and Schengen area, the following citizens do not need a visa to enter a Schengen area (incl. Estonia) for stays of not more than 90 days in any 180-day period: Who does not need a visa to visit Estonia?

If you plan to work in Estonia for 3 to 6 months, you still need to apply for a long-term visa. For a longer stay than 6 months, you must apply for a residence permit for employment.

Visa applications should be submitted to the Estonian representations abroad or other states representing Estonia. Residence permits or residence permits for employment should be submitted only to the Estonian representations abroad. Exceptions are made for the citizens of Japan and USA – research and teaching staff can enter Estonia on the basis of a visa and then apply for a residence permit in Estonia.


Short-term visa (type C) is issued for a transit through or an intended stay on the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of not more than 90 days within the period of 180 days.

If you wish to visit only Estonia, the Schengen visa has to be applied for at the Estonian representation or at the representation of the Member State representing Estonia in issuing Schengen visas.

A visa application form for a short term visa can be pre-filled online. The visa application should be submitted to the Estonian representations abroad or other Member States representing Estonia in issuing Schengen visas in person.

The Schengen visa and the entry conditions apply only to stays for up to 90 days. In the case of longer (more than three months) stays, a long-stay visa or a residence permit must be applied for.

Registration of short-term employment

In the case of entering the country with a short-stay visa, the employer registers the alien for a short-term employment. On the basis of the registration of short-term employment, an alien may work in Estonia for up to 365 days during a 455 day period. Short-term employment does not require a residence permit if the employment has been registered in the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board, and the registered person has a basis for stay.

Along with the confirmation of the registration of short-term employment, a personal identification code is issued to the alien. More detailed information can be found under Estonian personal identification code.


A long-stay (D) visa is an Estonian visa which may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia.

D-visa may be issued for the period of stay of up to 365 days within twelve consecutive months and it allows to stay in other Schengen Member States up to 90 days within the period of 180 days. 

In case of two consecutive long-stay visas, the whole period of stay shall not be longer than 548 days within 730 consecutive days.

A long-stay (D) visa must be applied for in person at an Estonian representation which handles visa applications or at a service point of the Police and Border Guard Board in Estonia (PBGB).

If you come to Estonia through another country, do not forget to check whether a transit visa is required.

If necessary, get the visa invitation/confirmation letter from the hosting academic unit at the Tallinn University.

If you do not need a visa, you can apply for the residence permit after the arrival to Estonia at the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board. If you need a visa for entry, apply for a short-term visa (type C).

Please note that the possession of a visa alone does not grant the right to enter the state. On the border, the visa holder may be requested to present the return ticket, hotel booking or the data of the inviter, travel insurance and proof of sufficient means of subsistence.



An alien who is not a citizen of the European Union may apply for a temporary residence permit for working at Tallinn University:
-    for carrying out research or conducting a study;
-    for employment as a top specialist.

The residence permit must be applied for if the employment period in Estonia will be longer than one calendar year. A residence permit for employment is issued for a period of guaranteed employment in Estonia by an employer with a period of validity of up to 2 years and it can be extended for up to five years at a time. The grant of residence permits to aliens is governed by the Aliens Act.

An alien can apply for a residence permit:
-    before arriving in Estonia at the nearest foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia. In such a case, it is not necessary to apply for a separate visa;
-    immediately after arriving in Estonia at the service office of the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board. In such a case, a visa (D-visa) is also necessary. In order to apply for a residence permit, an appointment must be made first.

The required documents for applying for the residence permit are submitted by the alien. The employer submits to the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board via e-mail ( or by mail (Pärnu mnt 139, 15060 Tallinn) the employer’s invitation.

Additional information: Temporary residence permit for employment



If the employer registers the alien’s short-term employment in Estonia, a personal identification code will be issued to the alien together with the confirmation of registration.

Please note that receiving an identification code does not entail a right to stay, live or work in Estonia – such rights must derive from other bases provided for by law.

An alien may apply for a personal identification code by going in person to the nearest district administration or to the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department. In order to apply for the personal identification code, please follow these steps:
-    fill out the application form (print on both sides and write in capital letters);
-    bring along an identity document.

The citizens of the European Union can submit an application for receiving the personal identification code in the local government of their place of residence simultaneously with the notice of residence.


An ID card is an identity document with digital functionality, which makes Internet banking and using other e services easy, convenient and safe.

An ID card is issued also to the citizen of the European Union who holds the right of residence in Estonia. An EU citizen ID card is not valid as a travel document.

The ID card can be applied for in the self-service portal as well as at the service office. In order to apply for the ID card at the service office, an appointment must be booked.

NB! Please note that you can use the self‑service portal for applying for ID card renewal for an adult and an ID card for a minor child. When applying for an ID card for the first time, you shall visit a client service office.