Nationals of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and any third-country national holding a residence permit of a Schengen State (herein EU citizen) do not need a visa to enter Estonia.

EU citizens can enter Estonia and work in Estonia for up to 3 months without applying for additional rights. If EU citizens stay in Estonia for >3 months, they should register their place of residence (address where they actually live in Estonia) at the local government authority within 3 months as of the arrival and apply for an ID-card. The same applies for the family members.

The notice of place of residence (printable version, electronically filled out version) can be submitted to the city or rural municipality government governing the individual’s place of residence by going in person, by sending it by post and appending a copy of the page containing the personal data from an identity document, or by sending a digitally signed notice by e-mail. Family members can present a joint notice of place of residence.

The registration of the place of residence gives the EU citizens the right to temporary residence for 5 years, right to receive Estonian health insurance and receive social support.

Upon the registration of the place of residence, a personal identification code will be issued to the person. For this purpose, an application must be filled out. After you have received a personal identification code, please inform the Personnel Office of Tallinn University:

After the registration of the place of residence in Estonia and the receipt of the personal identification code, an ID card must be applied for within one month in the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board. The ID card is an identity document and thanks to the digital part of the card, using the services of internet banks and other e-services is easy, comfortable and safe.

The ID card can be applied for in the self-service portal as well as at the service office. In order to apply for the ID card at the service office, an appointment must be booked.

NB! Please note that you can use the self‑service portal for applying for ID card renewal for an adult and an ID card for a minor child. When applying for an ID card for the first time, you shall visit a client service office.

Temporary residence

You can register the right of permanent residence, if you have resided in Estonia on the basis of the right of temporary residence permanently for 5 successive years. As an exception, you can register the right of permanent residence prior to the fulfilment of 5 years. An application on behalf of a minor child under age 15 is submitted by his/her legal representative (e.g. parent, guardian, authorized representative of a guardianship authority). 

For registration of the right of permanent residence, please address in person a Service Office or send the documents requested for the registration of the right of residence by post or e-mail.

Read more: Entry conditions and residence permits for Estonia