Duration: 4 years (8 semesters)
Language of Instruction: English, Estonian
Field of Study: Social Sciences
Conferred Degree: PhD (Government and Politics)
Detailed study programme is available HERE
Objectives of the Programme
- to give a possibility to acquire a PhD degree for those working in fields requiring an academic qualification in government and politics;
- to provide advanced knowledge on current political and social science theories;
- to complement the analytical and theoretical abilities through philosophical courses;
- to support the students develop into highly qualified lecturers, scientists and specialists in order to assure the sustainable development of the field.
- has achieved the highest state level of competence in the academic sciences and analytical skills and has also acquired a broad knowledge base through extensive reading;
- has developed into a creative scientist possessing an innovative attitude;
- is qualified as an independent researcher and able to effectively participate in Estonian and international research networks;
- has acquired the scientific competences necessary to apply for project funding and to organize groups;
- is competent to teach and support the learning process for students;
- can introduce specific knowledge related to Political Science within the larger context of society; can participate in discussions across the spectrum of society and influence the social decision process.
What Do We Expect from an Applicant?
The curriculum is open to individuals interested in acquiring a higher qualification in the study of government and politics.
Doctoral studies do not necessarily demand previous education in social or government studies. While education in the subject field does make it easier, the main criteria for acceptance are the applicant’s explicit interest and the idea for the thesis. It is advisable to consult with the potential supervisor(s) when formulating the subject for the thesis.
Prospective applicants are advised to pass the masters studies programme first, when preparation in the studies of government and politics is inadequate. This is an individual choice, based on the idea for the doctoral thesis, the motivation of the applicant, time constraints and advice from the supervisor.
Why Study Government and Politics at Tallinn University?
- the research area in the School of Governance, Law and Society is internationally evaluated and nationally accredited;
- the lecturers are leading specialists in Estonia and include eight professors: R. Ruutsoo, G. Sootla, A. Toots, R. Vetik, L. Kalev, M. Aaltola, E. Terk;
- doctoral seminars in the study of Government and Politics take place at least once a month and provide feedback from professors and fellow doctoral students;
- participation in conferences, seminars, summer schools and studying within the ERASMUS programme in foreign universities is supported in order to gain international experience;
- the School provides as much help as possible in order to get the doctoral students’ written works published in journals such as Acta Politica Estica and in Studies of Transition States and Societies, which is published in collaboration with the Institute of International and Social Studies;
- the School endeavours to accommodate individual expectations and work schedules;
- the doctoral students of Tallinn University are exempt from tuition fees. In addition, it is possible to apply for scholarships from University funding.
What are the Career Options After the Studies?
Internationally accredited PhD diploma allows you to work on positions requiring a PhD degree as managers and senior experts in Estonian, European Union and international institutions.
- For general requirements, please read admission to PhD Studies.
- Programme specific requirements:
Admission exam (interview) is based on the plan for the doctoral thesis that is agreed with the prospective supervisor.
- Specific questions regarding the programme should be directed to the School of Governance, Law and Society:
E-mail: Ave Põldmets-Ruut
Phone: +372 6409 382
- For additional guidelines regarding admission procedure please contact the international admission specialist.